Saturday, February 19, 2011

Scallop Shirt and Bloomers

Here is my first attempt at kids clothing, I do have a new niece on the way, due in June, but this is size 12 months, and I can't bring myself to give it away.... I may keep it for my hope chest.... I really made this outfit to see how well I do with patterns, and well the whole process. This project seemed so daunting at first - but, baby steps lead up to making baby clothes apparently.

I got both pieces of fabric, again, from my favorite store - Marshalls - in the remnant bin (as much as you can shove in a shopping bag for 8$, pretty sweet eh?) and they go so great together I will have to make more outfits from the remaining fabric! 

 I didn't have a real t-shirt pattern, so I took a onesie pattern and traced it on to freezer paper (I got ideas from a tutorial HERE, but didn't follow it to a T, I was experimenting). After tracing, I  added an A-line shape at the bottom, I ended the length just past where the leg cut outs started on the onsie pattern.
I got the idea for the Scalloped neckline from HERE, I loved the idea, there is a great tutorial for it HERE (that Jess from Craftiness is not optional is amazing!), I did mine a bit different (Jess' is much nicer - someday maybe I will be that good!).

  The shirt felt difficult at first, mostly the sleeves. I was winging it to see what I was capable of, and the first time you make something is generally the most difficult,  so I look forward to the next outfit I make!

  I already had a pattern for bloomers (seriously, one of the easiest things I have ever made).
I added the bows and pockets just as a cute-sie detail to tie the outfit together.

If your a Mama, Mama-to-be, Grand-mama or Awesome Auntie (like me)- Try it out, it's not as hard as I would of expected, and it was so much fun to make.

Happy Sewing!
-Courtney Soleil

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the email! I was so excited to see this adorable outfit you made-the bloomers and the plaid and the tie in back-all soo adorable. Love it!

    ReplyDelete